Selected Contract Experience
* 2013 – present: Northwood Area Land Management Collaborative – conducting “current condition summary” of 2646 acres of land in Northwood and Deerfield, NH for public-private collaborative of 18 landowners; preparing background documents for ecosystem-based management plan to assist landowners in joint stewardship of critical upper Lamprey River watershed area
* 2013 – 2014: Springfield Wetlands Project – completed comprehensive mapping of wetlands in town of Springfield; assisted with revisions to the existing wetlands ordinance; identified 161 probable vernal pools & provided guidance on recognizing vernal pools; provided wetland education at regional high school; currently providing rapid evaluation of major wetland complexes http://www.uvlsrpc.org/
* 2011 – present: Ossipee Mountain Preserve Ecological Monitoring – completed baseline documentation reports on two expansion tracts in Ossipee Mountains for Lakes Region Conservation Trust; currently conducting 10-year interval monitoring of wildlife and natural communities on entire 3,400 acre preserve
*2013 – 2014: Squam Uplands Rapid Ecological Assessment – completed 9-month assessment of 1465 acres in uplands region NW of Squam Lake for Squam Lakes Conservation Society; coordinated project review, completed BDR’s, wrote case statement for expansion of conservation focus area
*2011 – 2013: Grantham Wetland Inventory & Assessment Project – completed comprehensive aerial and roadside survey of all wetlands in Grantham, NH, as well as revised NH Method evaluation of 54 significant wetlands; coordinated 22 town volunteers and conservation commission members; prepared and presented final report; testified at several town hearings regarding proposed prime wetlands http://www.granthamnh.net/
* 2011 – 2014: Town of Center Harbor, NH Prime Wetlands Mapping Update – utilized NRI completed in 2011 to update prime wetlands mapping for six prime wetlands; presented at Town hearings and assisted in registering wetland with state of NH. http://www.centerharbornh.org/; currently assisting with rewrite and passage of Water Resources Ordinance
*2011 – 2013: Twin Pines Housing Trust Rivermere Affordable Housing Project – Assisted TPHT to obtain grant assistance through the Northern New England Housing Investment Fund by providing wetlands and shorelands permitting guidance in Lebanon, NH; performed delineation & site assessment for project; completed storm damage assessment and assisted with restoration plan
* 2010 – 2012: Wildwood Property NRI & Management Plan, Dublin, NH – completed 20-year monitoring of natural resources at 1400-acre property; updated comprehensive, compartment-based management plan for private landowner
*2010 – 2011: Pleasant Mountain Preserve EA, Bridgton & Denmark, ME – completed comprehensive ecological assessment of wildlife, rare plants, and ecological communities on 1500-acre Phase I property and 736-acre Phase II (pending sale) property of the Loon Echo Land Trust; found one new and one state historic rare plant for Maine; documented 28 occurrences of 16 rare plants on mountain
*2010 – 2011: Hebron Town Forest NRI & Management Plan, Hebron, NH – conducted rapid ecological assessment of 453-acre public property; presented findings to town; worked with town forester to compile management plan
* 2009 – present: Wetlands Restoration & Conservation Project, Webster Lake, NH – completed 850-acre conservation easement on four parcels through Wetlands Reserve Program (NRCS); currently coordinating flood storage and aquatic life passage restoration on all properties to improve WQ of impaired Webster Lake
* 2009 – 2011: Town of Meredith Prime & Designated Wetlands Project – remapped prime and proposed designated wetlands in town, and coordinated passage of town-wide ordinance to approve modified prime & designated wetlands http://www.meredithnh.org/
* 2009 – 2011: Town of Center Harbor, NH Natural Resources Inventory – mapped and described major natural resources of town; completed aerial photo mapping of all wetlands; assessed and submitted documentation on six prime wetlands to state; wrote NR Chapter of master plan; submitted final report for town. http://www.centerharbornh.org/
* 2008 – 2010: City of Lebanon Natural Resources Inventory Phase II – mapped and assessed all wetlands, documented wildlife species & corridors, determined high-value co-occurrence areas, assessed steep slopes, presented findings to the City [http://planning.lebnh.net/]; currently assisting with wildlife corridor analysis to integrate with City’s ‘green infrastructure’
* 2008 – 2009: Town of Hanover Mink Brook Highlands Assessment – conducted NRI assessment of 650-acre area that is currently subject to development proposals; performed 4-season wildlife and natural communities assessment, mapped wetlands
* 2007 – 2009: Effingham Wildlife Action Plan Implementation Project – conducted comprehensive review of wildlife and wildlife habitats in Effingham, updated Wildlife Action Plan at local level, and coordinated conservation of significant wildlife habitat in Effingham; conducted intensive sampling for critically imperiled species of mammals, birds, reptiles, fishes, amphibians, dragonflies & damselflies, and moths in selected wetland and upland habitats. Presented final report and assisted Conservation Commission with education outreach & conservation.
*2007 – 2009: Meredith Natural Resource Inventory – Phase II – conducted field-based survey of high-value co-occurrence areas established during Phase I NRI; completed 40% field-based, 60% office-based mapping of 7 prime wetlands; assessed wildlife habitat and identified wildlife corridors in town; wrote/presented reports http://www.meredithnh.org/
*2006 – 2008: Squam Range Ecological Inventory and Conservation Planning – wrote 3 grant proposals and received funding for 2-year EA in 20,000-acre area north of Squam Lake; worked with Plymouth State University graduate students and the Squam Lakes Conservation Society to monitor permanent plots, conduct primary research on threatened species, identify significant ecological areas, and make recommendations for management and conservation of land resources.
* 2005 – 2007: Effingham Wetlands Protection Project – wrote proposal and received ‘Moose Plate’ grant to map 90% of the wetlands in Effingham using 1998 digital aerial photographs and field surveys, identifying them by cover class, and assessing them in the field using the ‘N.H. Method.’ Project included the creation of a strategic wetland conservation plan for the Town
* 2003 – 2006: Town of Meredith Natural Resource Inventory – Phase I – conducted comprehensive GIS map review and ‘windshield survey’ of town’s natural resources, completed API of all wetlands, developed GIS ‘co-occurrence’ overlays and attribute assessment model; Phase II – conducting field verification of NRI data.
* 2003 – 2005: Bear Pond Natural Area NRI – served on team of scientists that researched the natural resource attributes of a 925-acre property in Canaan, N.H., for the Mascoma Watershed Conservation Committee. Performed the plant, mammal, and fungi inventory portion of the project.
* 2003 – 2004: Lake Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge – conducted biological assessment of macro-invertebrates of 19,000-acre refuge for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, assessed effects of annual drawdown of 8900-acre lake, and provided assistance in the development of the Comprehensive Conservation Plan.
* 2002 – 2004: Castle-in-the-Clouds Bio-Inventory – performed a comprehensive inventory and assessment of the 5600-acre Castle property in Moultonborough and Tuftonboro, NH for the Lakes Region Conservation Trust; identified old growth areas, rare & endangered species, plus flora and fauna for management purposes.
* 2001 – 2002: Squam Lakes Watershed Bio-Inventory – conducted first year of long-term monitoring project in the 41,000-acre Squam Lakes area of central NH; compiled data base and annotated review of existing literature; prepared long-term ecological monitoring plan for 35 permanent plots, completed comprehensive assessment of plants, animals, water quality, and ecosystems for Squam Lakes Association.
* 2001 – 2002: Remick Museum Ecological Inventory – completed a comprehensive natural resource inventory of the 410-acre Remick Museum properties in Tamworth, N.H. Wrote management plan and nature trail guide for 2.5-mile nature trail. Assisted Farm staff in managing land and offering educational workshops.
* 2001 – 2002: Holt Pond Preserve Rapid Ecological Assessment – conducted a GIS and field survey of the 400+ acre Holt Pond Preserve in Bridgton, Maine for the Lakes Environmental Association (LEA). Established monitoring plots, wetland assessment, species accounts, and educational materials for outreach efforts of LEA.
* 2000 – 2001 Nelson Priority Conservation Plan – Prepared GIS review of all natural and cultural resource attributes of the 14,452-acre town; drafted attribute assessment model based on LCIP & LCHIP criteria; assessed 38 parcels within high quality ecological areas; advised on conservation initiatives for selected parcels.
* 1999 – 2001: Ossipee Mountain Preserve Bio-Inventory – Completed two-year natural resource inventory of the +/- 3000 acre Lakes Region Conservation Trust land on part of the Ossipee ring dike; conducted rare & endangered species assessments, mammal tracking, natural community mapping, releve’ plot analysis, and bird, reptile and amphibian surveys; prepared management plan for this wildlands area
* 1999 – 2000: Amherst Wetlands Assessment – Completed ‘NH Method’ evaluation of all wetlands > 1 acre in Amherst, NH; trained 28 volunteers, supervised 4 Antioch interns; prepared and presented summary analysis for nominating prime wetlands through the NH DES Wetlands Bureau; assisted Town in preparing ordinance revision requiring water resource management plans for all proposed impacts in project area (passed 3/12/01)